Installing WordPress for the first time is much easier using an install method like Fantastico. It is quick and only takes a few steps. Also, consider using HostGator’s custom, 1-click installer ‘QuickInstall’, which is supported better by Hostgator.
Fantastico installs WordPress very quick, but skips over customizing the database. For more security with your database, consider installing WordPress using the Standard Install Method.
Watch Install Video or Follow Steps Below:
Before you begin, you will need:
- A HostGator account (Sign up)
- HostGator Username & Password
- DNS configured (Domain name pointed to HostGator Server)
Step 1: Log into cPanel at HostGator
- Go to http://YOURDOMAIN.COM/cpanel
- Enter your HostGator username and password. Click ‘Login’.
Step 2: Launch Fantastico
- Click ‘Fantastico De Luxe’ under ‘Software/Services’, to launch Fantastico.
Step 3: Begin the WordPress installation
- Click ‘WordPress’ under ‘Blogs’. You will see a short description in this screen. At the time of this guide being written, WordPress 3.2.1 was the newest version. It is best to install the latest version.
- Click ‘New Installation’.
Step 4: Enter WordPress Site Details
- Select the desired domain. Most likely you will only have one option.
- *Optional – Enter the website directory. Only necessary if you are NOT installing to your root directory. It is recommended to keep this blank.
- WordPress Admin Username. This information will be used to login to WordPress. For this example we used to keep the default name, It is better to choose a more secure and unique admin username.
- WordPress Admin Password. Enter a secure password.
- Admin nickname. The name displayed when logged in as admin. You can use Admin / Webmaster / or Your Name, for instance. This can be changed after install.
- Admin e-mail. The Email that a lost password goes to. This can be updated anytime after install. Make sure you have easy access to this email.
- Site Name. The name of your site. This can be changed after install. This should be a two or three words to describe your site.
- Site Description. This is a short description that appears on your website under the site name. It is typically 4-10 words. Most WordPress themes use this as the main site description. You can change it later.
- Click the ‘Install WordPress’ button to start the install
*Note – This install method step skips the manual Install steps which include the License Agreement and Database Configuration. To install using your own configured database or FTP options, it is necessary to follow the standard WordPress install guide.
Step 5: Finish Installation
This screen shows you what will be created.
- Click ‘Finish Installation’ to complete the install
Step 6: WordPress Install Confirmation
This screen shows the core WordPress files that have been modified for your site.
- Note of your admin name and password
- Note the WordPress login link for your site
- Enter your email and click ‘Send E-mail’
Step 7: Confirm your blog is working
- Visit ‘YOURDOMAIN.com’ (For us, it is www.droplinemenu.com) to see make sure WordPress has installed successfully.
Step 8: Login to WordPress
Visit http://YOURDOMAIN.COM/WP-ADMIN to login to WordPress. For us it was http://droplinemenu.com/wp-admin.
- Enter your Admin username and password and click ‘Login’.
Step 9: Congratulations and start blogging!
You have successfully installed WordPress using Fantastico at HostGator! Now it’s time to start building your blog. You can create new blog posts, pages and find templates for your site.
Other Methods of Installing WordPress at HostGator
Steven Johnson, a WP Hosting Reviews senior editor, works from Atlanta and covers all things related to WordPress and Hosting.
He graduated from Georgia Tech in Chemical Engineering, has managed hosting companies and now builds WordPress and Joomla Websites for small to medium companies full time.