Using Fantastico is a great idea if you want to install WordPress quickly, in just a few clicks. It’s great for first-time users.
Fantastico does not allow you to customize databases. So, if you’re looking for extra security by customizing your database, consider installing WordPress at Site5 using the standard method.
Watch Install Video or Follow Steps Below:
Before you begin, you will need:
- A Site5 account (Sign up)
- Site5 Email & Password
- DNS configured (Domain name pointed to Site5 Server)
Step 1: Log into Backstage at Site5
- Go to http://www.site5.com and click on ‘Client Login’
Step 2: Login to Site5
- Enter your Site5 account’s Email, Password and click ‘Login’ to go to Backstage.
Step 3: Go to Fantastico
- Click the ‘Fantastico’ under ‘Software/Services’, to launch Fantastico (smiley face icon).
Step 4: Begin the WordPress installation
- Click ‘WordPress’ under ‘Blogs’. You will see a short description in this screen. At the time of this guide being written, WordPress 3.2.1 was the latest version. They have been rolling out new versions a lot more frequently, so try to get the latest version.
- Click New Installation.
Step 5: Enter the details of your new WordPress site
- Select the desired domain. Most likely you will only have one option.
- *Optional – Enter the website directory. Only necessary if you are NOT installing to your root directory.
- WordPress Admin Username. This information will be used to login to WordPress)
- WordPress Admin Password
- Admin nickname. The name displayed when logged in as admin. You can use Admin / Webmaster / or Your Name. This can be changed after install.
- Admin e-mail. The Admin’s Email. The Email that a lost password goes to. This can be changed after install.
- Site Name. The name of your site. This can be changed after install. This should be two or three words to describe your site.
- Site Description. This is a short description that appears on your website under the site name. Most WordPress themes use this as the main site description. You can change it later.
- Click the install button *Note – This install method step skips the manual Install steps which include the License Agreement and Database Configuration. To install using your own configured database or FTP options, it is necessary to follow the standard WordPress install guide.
Step 6: Finish Installation
This screen shows you what will be created.
- Click ‘Finish Installation’ to complete the install
Step 7: Last Install Step!
This screen shows the core WordPress files that have been modified for your site.
- Note of your Admin name and Password
- Note the WordPress login link for your site
- Enter your email and click ‘Send E-mail’
Step 8: Verify your new site is up and running
- Visit ‘YOURSITE.com’ (For us, it is www.droplinemenu.com) to see make sure WordPress has installed successfully.
Step 9: Login to WordPress
Visit http://YOURDOMAIN.COM/WP-ADMIN to login to WordPress. For us it was http://droplinemenu.com/wp-admin.
- Enter your Admin username and password and click ‘Login’.
Step 10: Congratulations!
You have successfully installed WordPress using Fantastico at Site5! Now it’s time to start creating your blog. You can create new blog posts, pages and find good templates for your site.
Other Methods of Installing WordPress at Site5
Steven Johnson, a WP Hosting Reviews senior editor, works from Atlanta and covers all things related to WordPress and Hosting.
He graduated from Georgia Tech in Chemical Engineering, has managed hosting companies and now builds WordPress and Joomla Websites for small to medium companies full time.