Installing WordPress for the first time is much easier using an installer like QuickInstall. It is quick and only takes a few steps. Also, QuickInstall is supported better then other installers.
QuickInstall installs WordPress very quick, but skips over customizing the database. For more security with your database, consider installing WordPress using the Standard Install Method.
Watch install video or follow the steps below:
Before you begin, you will need:
- A HostGator account (Sign up)
- HostGator Username & Password
- DNS configured (Domain name pointed to HostGator Server)
Step 1: Log into HostGator cPanel
- Go to http://YOURDOMAIN.COM/cpanel
- Enter your HostGator username and password. Click ‘Login’.
Step 2: Launch QuickInstall
- Click ‘QuickInstall’ under ‘Software/Services’, to launch QuickInstall.
Step 3: Begin QuickInstall for WordPress
- Click ‘WordPress’ under ‘Blog Software’. You will see a short description in this screen. At the time of this guide being written, WordPress 3.2.1 was the newest version. It is best to install the latest version.
- Click ‘Continue’ to start the installation.
Step 4: Enter New WordPress Basic Details
- Select the desired domain. Most likely you will only have one option.
- *Optional – Enter the website directory. Only necessary if you are NOT installing to your root directory. It is recommended to keep this blank.
- Admin e-mail. The Email that a lost password goes to. This can be updated anytime after install. Make sure you have easy access to this email.
- Site Name. The name of your site. This can be changed after install. This should be a two or three words to describe your site.
- First Name. This is added to the Admin’s profile when the install is complete. Change at anytime after install.
- Last Name. This is also added to the admin’s profile when the install is complete. Change at anytime after install.
- Click the ‘Install Now!’ button.
*Note – This install method step skips the manual Install steps which include the License Agreement and Database Configuration. To install using your own configured database or FTP options, it is necessary to follow the standard WordPress install guide.
Step 5: Finish QuickInstall
This is the install completion screen.
- Note the link to the frontend of your site.
- Note your new Username & Password
Step 6: Confirm your blog is working
- Visit ‘YOURDOMAIN.com’ (For us, it is www.droplinemenu.com) to see make sure WordPress has installed successfully.
Step 7: Login to WordPress
Visit http://YOURDOMAIN.COM/WP-ADMIN to login to WordPress. For us it was http://droplinemenu.com/wp-admin.
- Enter your Admin username and password and click ‘Log in’.
Step 8: Congratulations and start blogging!
You have successfully installed WordPress using QuickInstall at HostGator! Now it’s time to start building your blog. You can create new blog posts, pages and find templates for your site.
Other Methods of Installing WordPress at HostGator
Steven Johnson, a WP Hosting Reviews senior editor, works from Atlanta and covers all things related to WordPress and Hosting. He graduated from Georgia Tech in Chemical Engineering, has managed hosting companies and now builds WordPress and Joomla Websites for small to medium companies full time.